Before using a bidet for the first time, it is best to familiarize yourself with the functions of the bidet and how it works. Try flushing the bidet and/or using the spray nozzle to see where the stream of water is coming from so you know where to position yourself. This will also help you gauge the pressure of the water so you’re not in for a big surprise.
The bidet is used after using the toilet. If you are using a bidet toilet or bidet toilet seat attachment, you can stay seated. If there’s a freestanding bidet next to you (standalone bidet separate from the toilet), get up and straddle the bidet so that you are facing the water controls. This makes it easier to not only control the pressure and temperature of the water but allows you to see where the water comes out, making it easier to clean yourself.
Bidet Wash and Feminine Wash
- If the bidet has temperature controls for hot or cold water, adjust the water temperature to what is comfortable for you (typically a warm water wash is preferred). The control to adjust the temperature will be found on the control panel next to the toilet seat.
- Position yourself onto the bidet by either sitting on the rim or squatting over it. (Unlike toilets, freestanding bidets do not have a seat you sit on.)
- Depending on which area you need cleaned, select the setting or mode that will get the job done. To clean after urinating, select our feminine wash setting. This will specifically target the vaginal area and wash it clean!
- If a bidet has a built-in dryer, such as our BLISS BB-1700, you can use this to dry yourself off. Otherwise, this can be done using a small amount of toilet paper. (For more information about toilet paper use, see our recent blog, Do You Need to Wipe After Using a Bidet?)
Once you are done using the bidet, rinse toilet bowl and spray nozzle out by running the jets at a low setting. This help keeps it clean and fresh for the next usage.
Benefits of a BidetBidets offer women numerous hygiene benefits. During a menstrual cycle, women can use a bidet to quickly and thoroughly cleanse their genitals. Using the spray to wash outer genitals can help prevent infections, irritation, and inflammation. For women who are experiencing inflammation, keeping the area clean with frequent, cold water washing can help reduce it and minimize discomfort. Depending on the model, some bidets come with a “feminine wash” setting which thoroughly cleans a woman’s vaginal area using a wider, alternate spray pattern which creates a softer wash. The nozzle adjusts to the appropriate position to reach the area needing to be cleaned.
Another benefit of the bidet is lessening inflammation and irritation for women after childbirth. Often after giving birth, a woman’s vaginal area is sore and irritated. Cleaning the area with a cool, feminine wash can help relieve some of the discomfort and help the inflammation go away faster.
For more information on the benefits of bidets for women, view some of our other resources:
Types of BidetsThere are a number of different types of bidets that are available on the market, some of which have built-in features with the female anatomy in mind:
- Freestanding Bidets – A freestanding bidet is considered the “traditional” bidet. These types are standalone bidets usually found next to a regular toilet. They look like a large, low-standing sink. These models are less popular than modern bidets and bidet attachments (see Built-in Bidets below).
- Handheld Bidets – A handheld bidet is a nozzle that stays attached to the toilet. This type of bidet is used to manually clean the genitals and anus after using the toilet. With this type of bidet you are in control of the stream of water.
- Built-in Bidets – A built-in bidet is just that; it’s a bidet that is already built-in to the toilet. Once the user has finished their duty, they can select the desired setting, temperature, and water pressure to clean and cleanse themself. Built-in bidets include smart bidet toilets and electronic bidet toilet seats, as found on our website.
Our Three Best Bidets for WomenNot all bidet toilets and bidet toilet seat attachments are created equal. Some include more basic features, while others have more advanced features specifically designed with women in mind. Here are our top-recommended bidets for women:
Featuring a powerful built in motor to ensure a satisfying and consistent water stream. Whether it is a gentle feminine wash, a robust posterior wash, or our patented Vortex wash (enema wash to assist with bowel movements) you can rest assured you’ll get the perfect stream of water every time.
Want to Learn More?
If you’re interested in the benefits bidets offer women, or if you have any questions at all, use the chat feature here on our website or send us a message on social media. We’re on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
For more tips, exclusive discounts, and the latest news, get on the list! Sign up for our newsletter!